Raconteur is looking for an enthusiastic, high-energy sales manager to lead the launch and ongoing management of its new Early Careers Programme. This role presents an excellent opportunity to develop your own management skills, make a lasting impact on sales professionals at the start of their careers and provide Raconteur with a constant feed of high-quality sales talent.
Raconteur publishes content that challenges and inspires business leaders, both online and in print through its distribution partnership with The Times and The Sunday Times. We recently earned one of the most prestigious accolades in our sector when we were crowned Business Media Brand of the Year at the 2022 PPA Awards.
We’ve doubled our revenue and headcount over the past two years, while more than tripling our profit. Our goal is to build on recent audience growth and become the go-to source of information and inspiration for business leaders.
Culture is hugely important to us. We nurture exceptional talent and are committed to ensuring all employees’ wellbeing and building a diverse, inclusive organisation. It’s one of the reasons why we’re working to become a certified B Corporation.
All of this means that it’s a truly exciting time to join the team at Raconteur and help us to achieve our ambitious plans.
What you'll be doing
The Early Careers Programme
The Early Careers Programme at Raconteur is designed to give applicants from all backgrounds an opportunity to start a career in sales, and learn and develop their sales skills across a six-month programme. The ultimate goal is for candidates to graduate from the programme into a full-time role in Raconteur's wider sales team.
Every six months we will take on six new hires from a range of backgrounds (all hires will be provided by our partner, ECC). Hires will have been through extensive behavioural and psychometric assessments and interviews to maximise the chances of success at Raconteur. While on the programme, there will be a heavy emphasis on L&D (run by you and other Raconteur Leaders), an ongoing live sales element (selling Raconteur digital products), and they will also spend time with other departments to give them a full understanding of the publishing industry. At the end of the six months, they will either be offered a full-time sales position, be extended into the next cohort, or they will leave the business. The programme will then repeat with a new batch of six.
Our ideal candidate
● An experienced manager with proven experience developing and coaching sales teams to improve their performance levels and exceed sales targets
● A passion for developing and improving people
● An eye for potential. We don’t hire into this team based on experience, so you’ll need to be able to pick candidates (a pool of 12-18 potential hires will be provided by ECC for each cohort) based on their behaviours, motivations and potential
● Knowledgable and enthusiastic about the importance of inclusion and diversity
● Ability to design and run a best-in-class training programme covering all the building blocks needed for a successful career in publishing sales
● Motivating and invigorating a sales team to encourage good energy and positivity at all times
● Demonstrating and coaching best in class sales pitching understanding methodologies such as SPIN, Challenger sales and Question-Based Selling
● Introducing and driving adoption of our Sales enablement tools: Salesforce, Salesloft, LinkedIn Sales Navigator, Lusha
● Accurately communicating monthly sales forecasts to the Director of Special Reports and Finance Director
● Strong stakeholder management skills. You’ll be working closely with our external programme partner (ECC), as well as an array of internal teams (finance, design, production, data, editorial and other sales teams). In a hybrid-remote working environment, it is important to maintain an honest, open and positive style across all communications channels (telephone, Zoom, email, Slack or face to face).
What we offer
- Highly competitive salary (DOE) and bonus plan
- Private health insurance (which includes discounted gym membership)
- Private dental insurance
- A highly flexible remote-working policy
- ‘Work anywhere’ benefit that allows staff to work from abroad for up to four weeks per year
- 25 days’ holiday per annum, plus one additional day of holiday for each year worked at the company for the first three years
- Enhanced maternity and paternity leave policies
- Nursery benefit
- An extensive training programme and development opportunities, including a personal learning and development budget
- Life assurance
- An employee assistance programme (which includes free counselling sessions)
- A cycle-to-work scheme
- An annual ‘Raconteur Day’, where the whole company has a day away from the office that does not use any holiday
- A vibrant social calendar
At Raconteur we recognise that diversity is critical to our continued success, growth and enjoyment at work. We seek to hire, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool, and therefore encourage applications from all suitably qualified candidates regardless of their race, sex, age, disability, religion/belief or sexual orientation.